• (2015) BBCSO Górecki: Total Immersion
For the first of its 2015-16 ‘Total Immersion’ series, the BBC SO programmed a day of music by Henryk Mikołaj Górecki, five years after his death. I was not involved in the choice of repertoire, but I prepared the following materials for the day:
• An introductory talk on the man and the music, focusing on works that complemented rather than duplicated the repertoire of the day’s concerts (Sonata for Two Violins, Elementi, Amen, Symphony no.3, Lerchenmusik, Little Requiem and Symphony no.4, plus music by Wacław z Szamotuły and Chopin).
• A spoken introduction to a 90′ film, Please Find Henryk Mikołaj Górecki (Violetta Rotter-Kozera, 2012).
• The programme book’s opening essay.
• Programme notes for String Quartets 1 and 2, a recital of music for a cappella choir and for solo piano (Totus Tuus, Four Preludes, Marian Songs, Piano Sonata, Church Song no.21), and the evening concert (Old Polish Music, Kyrie*, Harpsichord Concerto, Symphony no.2 ‘Copernican’), which I co-presented for BBC Radio 3 with Petroc Trelawny.