• (2012-13) LSO Szymanowski series
To mark the 130th anniversary of Szymanowski’s birth and the 75th anniversary of his death, the London SO has included five programmes of his music alongside the music of Brahms during its 2012-13 season. Their four respective symphonies have been paired in the same concerts, Szymanowski’s two violin concertos included, with his Stabat Mater and Brahms’s A German Requiem placed side by side in the final programme. All four Szymanowski symphonies and the two violin concertos had already been performed during the 2012 Edinburgh Festival and the four symphonies have been scheduled in LSO tours to three cities on the continent in October and December 2012.
I prepared the following material for the Szymanowski side of these concerts.
• Symphony no.1 (London, Paris, Luxembourg)
• Symphony no.2 (London, Paris, Luxembourg, Frankfurt)
• Symphony no.3 (London, Paris, Luxembourg)
• Symphony no.4 ‘Symphonie Concertante’ (London, Paris, Luxembourg)
• Violin Concerto no.1
• Violin Concerto no.2
• Stabat Mater